First unveiled this June, the iOS 7 gets a complete design overhaul. When announced, Apple CEO Tim Cook called it "the biggest change to the platform since the iPhone was introduced five years ago". The Apple operating system lives up to the promise and helps make a big leap in user experience.
Apple has been long criticised for the static interface the iOS offered. With iOS 7, the company has awarded it a new look and added many features that makes the user experience much smoother. Everything has been refined, from typography down to the pixel. The default icons including photos, message, calendar, and settings have been redone with the use of pastel colours.
Navigability is the other big change. Until now, to access basic controls one had to visit 'Settings' on the iPhone and iPad, a Control Center has been added, which gives quick access to the controls you want in one convenient place with just one swipe from the bottom of your screen. The swipe down Notification Center gives a view of the day and shows notifications both new and missed.
Even multitasking has been improved by giving users the ability to switch between their apps in an intuitive way -- in some way, resembling the Android OS. The iOS 7 pays attention to which apps are used the most and automatically keeps the content up to date in the background.
- It offers full-screen browsing with Safari's new redesigned user interface.
- The new smart search field has simplified search.
- There is new Find My iPhone Activation Lock feature that requires your Apple ID and password before you can turn off Find My iPhone, erase data or re-activate a device after it's been remotely erased.
- The FaceTime audio for high quality calls over a data network has also been introduced.
- AirDrop is a new way to share content with people nearby. It shows the contacts nearby and using peer-to-peer transfer, transfers content.
- The camera app features filters for adding real time effects. Moments, is the redesigned Photos app, which automatically organises photos on the basis of time and location.
- The new iOS will be capable of automatically installing app updates too.
Late on Wednesday night, when the iOS 7 was available for update, there was a heavy traffic and I was not able to update my iPhone as during over-the-air update, it continuously showed error while downloading. But it can be smoothly done now as most of the Apple fans would have updated the OS by now. But before downloading the new OS, update all the apps and backup your iOS device to make sure your upgrade goes as smooth as possible.
The iOS 7 will be available for update on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch (5th Generation), and iPad (from the iPad 2 generation onwards), including the iPad Mini.