Pakistan-based counterfeiters are smuggling fake Rs 2000 notes to India via India's porous border with Bangladesh, according to reports. The Indian Express reported that investigative agencies arrested a man in West Bengal with 40 fake notes of Rs 2,000 denomination who told investigators that the notes were printed in Pakistan.
Last Novemeber, India experienced one of the biggest financial operations ever executed after the country's independence. The move was targeted at the massive cash flow of black money in the market and a 400-crore fake currency market that mostly dealt with higher denomination notes.
Presuming that fake notes are an eventuality when it comes to a nation's currency, the Reserve Bank of India has released a few guidelines to identify the new note.
Here are 17 identification marks found on the new Rs 2000 note:
1. The number 2000 can been seen clearly when held against light.
2. A hidden image of the numeral 2000 can be seen when held at a 45-degree angle.
3. The numeral 2000 is written in Devnagari script on the left hand side of Mahatma Gandhi's portrait.
4. Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi in the centre.
5. Micro letter 'RBI' and '2000'.
6. On the colour-changing security thread one can read RBI, Bharat in Devnagari and the numeral 2000 using different viewing angles.
7. RBI Governor, Urijit Patel's signature with promise clause and RBI emblem towards right.
8. Watermark of Mahatma Gandhi's portrait and electrotype 2000 watermark
9. On the number panel, numerals growing small to big on top left and bottom right.
10. Denomination with rupee symbol in colour changing ink on bottom right.
11. Ashok Pillar emblem on the right.
12. Year of printing note.
13. Swachh Bharat logo with slogan.
14. Language panel towards centre.
15. Motif of Mangalyaan on the back of the note.
Special indications for visually-impaired users:
(Raised printing of Mahatama Gandhi portrait, Ashok pillar, bleed lines and identification mark.)
16. Horizontal rectangle with raised 2000 printing on the right
17. Seven raised angular bleed lines on the right and left side