After being halted for more than a year, land acquisition for the showpiece Rs 52,000-crore Posco steel plant in Odisha resumed on Sunday amid clashes between police and protesters.
The acquisition process for the South Korean steel major's mega project amid tight security in Jagatsinghpur district was marked by claims and counter-claims on the violence following allegations of police crackdown on project opponents and injuries to some villagers due to lathicharge.
"Land acquisition process began in Gobindpur village in the proposed project site near Paradip. It will continue till all betel vineyards of the cultivators willing to hand over their land is completed," District Collector S K Mallick said.
Betel-vines and land of only those who had already given their consent are being acquired, Additional District Magistrate Surjit Das said.
Anti-Posco protesters indulged in stone throwing for sometime damaging at least five vehicles of the police and administration, sources said, adding police sealed all the entry points to Gobindapur.
They also sealed the Gobindapur-Dhinkia road. Protesters from nearby areas like Ersama, Kujang and Jagatsinghpur were gathering in order to chalk out their strategy.
Leaders of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS), agitating against the project since 2005, alleged that police launched a crack down on villagers trying to resist entry of acquisition team into Gobindpur injuring about six people in lathicharge. Das, however, refuted the charge saying no force was used.
Das said the work progressed peacefully and claimed no one was hurt in the incident.
Around 400 police personnel were deployed in the area where anti-Posco activists had been sitting on dharana at Balitikira of Gobindapur for the last 20 days.
As the police personnel cordoned the area, demolition of betel-vines and tree felling was undertaken at Mathsahi locality of Gobindapur. Officials of Odisha's Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (IDCO) and Posco-India were present in the area during the work.