Business Today talks to Madhura Bhargave, PGP class of 2015, IIM-Ahmedabad, on what should be the new government's agenda -
The new government should waste little time in introducing much-needed reforms. In the short term after the formation of the government, the following five areas should be focused upon:
1. Turn around the investment climate: Keeping investors happy and launching new SEZs is something that is absolutely critical to putting the economy back on track.
Full Coverage:Lok Sabha Elections 2014
2. Guard against the drought: If this year is a drought year then the government would do good to invest in linking rivers, investing in cold chains and taking steps towards ensuring that their first year in power is not remembered for the drought.
3. Pass critical legislation: The much talked about Goods and Services Tax, and insurance legislation need to be passed. The government needs to work on strengthening regulators and independent bodies.
4. Push on infrastructure: Having seen the infrastructure development in Gujarat, I believe this government can indeed give a push to improving infrastructure. Resolving the logjam on mines, highways and other corridor projects should be a key priority for the new government.
5. E-governance: The new government should set the stage for a nationwide push for e-governance policies, as it would appeal to the anti-corruption sentiment as well.