After being bundled up under tweeds and yak-wool mufflers all winter, it's time to shed the layers and prepare to bask in the summer sun. While your personal trainer worries about the flab you've accumulated around the midriff, let us take care of your hair and skin. Remember the hot months can be especially damaging to the skin, and men who live in a humid climate need to work extra hard to keep the pores clear of oil and grime, and their hair frizz-free. So stock up on the lotions and potions, eat a well-balanced diet, pay heed to our expert advice and there's no heat that you can't beat. Here's the season's latest in grooming products for men.1Clinique liquid face wash
Before you slather on sunscreen, it's essential to free your pores of all grit and dirt. This regular-strength liquid face wash from Clinique will give your face the cleansing it needs and a freshness that will last through the day. Price: Rs 1,0752. Iraya and faces sports balm
For those who work out and play sports on a regular basis, this natural muscle toner enhances circulation, tones up sore, fatigued muscles and restores flexibility. Just the thing to help with your rejuvenation and joint problems.
Price: Rs 3253.Forest essentials bitter orange & cinnamon shampoo
This nutrient-rich shampoo for normal to dry hair contains amla juice, soya protein, coconut oil, herbal infusions sandalwood and vetiver essential oils. Guaranteed to give your hair a natural sheen and add swing and fragrance.
Price: Rs 6504.Body shop maca root eye rescue serum
Body Shop has chosen maca root as the key ingredient for its new skincare and grooming range for men. It reportedly helps maintain skin firmness and works in synergy with other naturally derived ingredients to help improve the vitality and condition of the skin.
Price: Rs 1,295
5. L'occitane Verdon energy face moisturiser
This thirst-quenching moisturiser quickly hydrates the skin and provides an intense sensation of comfort. Developed with a patented complex of purifying peppermint essential oil, sea-buckthorn moisturising water, and nourishing and energising oil, it promises to give your complexion that much-needed boost.
Price: Rs 2,100
6. Tabac original luxury soap
Distinctively masculine, this all-male German soap bar is a blend of pepperyspicy accents and exotic high-grade woods. Not only is it mild on the skin, it also ups the sex appeal by leaving you smelling good for hours afterwards.
Price: Rs 375
7. Mary kay cooling after shave gel
Seal off your pores after your shave, with this soothing blue gel that comes as a welcome relief after the razor blade has had its rough way with your face.
Price: Rs 575
8. Neutrogena triple protect face lotion
While it does help with exfoliation, daily shaving also dries up your skin and sometimes results in ingrown hair. This Triple Protect Face Lotion with an SPF of 20 works to soothe razor irritation and heal dry skin. And yes, promises to have you looking younger than you did the day before, without a sweaty upper-lip to boot.
Price: Rs 390Expert speak
Dr. Sangeeta Amladi, head of Medical Services at the Kaya Skin Clinic, gives some tips to help you through the summer months.
- Cleanse your skin with a good quality face cleanser every day. Follow with a sunscreen for the day and a moisturiser at night.
- Using a daily moisturiser with sweat-proof sunscreen will prevent wrinkles and protect your skin from tanning and sun damage.
- Constant exposure to air conditioning dries up your skin, so make sure you apply moisturiser before you head to work or the mall.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water every day.
- Try to wash the face with plain cool water every few hours.
- To protect your skin from harmful UV rays, use sunscreen without fail.
- Be sure to use sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
- Indian skin, especially the lips, are prone to darkening and pigmentation. So use a lip balm with sunscreen to prevent darkening.
- Lastly, always remember to include your hands and feet in your grooming routine. Neat and manicured nails reflect good hygiene and grooming habits. Also, try to fit in a pedicure, even if it's just at home, once a week.