1. 2001: A Group of Ministers looking into national security recommends setting up a Multi Agency Centre (MAC) to combat terrorism better. MAC starts in 2006.
2. 2008: The Second Administrative Reforms Commission suggests converting MAC into a National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
3. Feb 3, 2012: The Union Home Ministry issues notification setting up NCTC.
4. Feb 15-25, 2012: Chief ministers of 13 states with non-Congress governments oppose NCTC's powers to search and arrest, saying law and order is a state subject
5. Feb 28, 2012: Centre blinks, postpones setting up NCTC