While everyone may be talking about the mammoth size of Infosys’ new Global Education Centre in Mysore, what’s truly remarkable is: how Infy is using this centre to train and prepare several thousand graduates each year, to become future stars at Infosys. What the tech giant aims to gain out of this excercise is to plug the gap between bookish knowledge one receives in college and Infy’s specific needs. All students get residential facilities as industry stalwarts as well as full time faculty members prepare them for the real world.
- Infy makes job offers to students from computer engineering and other streams and gives them the training free of cost.
- All candidates undergo 6-month training in programming skills and successful ones are absorbed by Infy.
- The training is in technical areas. Students develop multiple skills that benefit the employees and Infy.
- GEC-II alone can accommodate 9,500 trainees in its 95 training rooms. GEC-I has space for another 4,500.
- It cost Infy Rs 2,055 crore to develop the campus. It is the only Indian company with an in-house education set-up of this scale.
- The campus has 350 faculty rooms. It employs full time faculty as well as invites guest lecturers.