The 4.7 km-long Bandra-Worli Sea Link in Mumbai is set to open soon. Here are some key features of this unique bridge.
Other suspension bridges
Sutong Bridge, Jiangsu, China.
Total length: 8,206 m
Tatara Bridge, Hiroshima and Ehime, Japan.
Total length: 1,480 m
Pont de Normandie, Le Havre–Honfleur, France.
Total length: 2,143 m
- The total cable length used to connect the towers is equal to the circumference of the earth (40,075 km)
- The length of the bridge (4 km) is 63 times the height of Qutub Minar in Delhi
- The slabs on the bridge are screwed in place by special nuts and bolts. Each slab is unique and had to be fixed at a specific point
- The piling of the bridge is 100 feet under the sea
- For fixing the slabs, launching Trusses were used
- If the Trusses had to be dismantled and moved, it would have taken almost 1 year
- To save time, Asian Hercules, one of the largest floating cranes in the world, was hired to move the Trusses
- The rental for the imported Trusses was Rs 1 crore per day