The S&P BSE Sensex on Thursday closed 66.12 points or 0.25 per cent higher at 26,220.95 from the previous day's close, mainly on weak manufacturing data for the month of September.
The wider 50-scrip Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) also ended the day's trade on a flat note. It closed higher by 2 points or 0.03 per cent at 7,950.90 points.
Below are the key stocks that made news today:
- IDFC: With IDFC Bank being carved out as the country's newest bank, infrastructure financing firm IDFC on Thursday began trading as a standalone entity as part of the demerger scheme. Shares of the company closed at Rs 60.30 apiece, lower by 57.32 per cent on Bombay Stock Exchange.
- HCL Tech:HCL Technologies shares dipped over 12 per cent on Thursday after the company said it expects its revenues for the September quarter to be "tepid", impacted by adverse currency movement and issues with a client in the public services vertical. Shares of the firm closed at Rs 857.90 apiece, lower by 12.65% from its previous close on BSE.
- IOC: Indian Oil Corporation has announced hike in diesel price by 50 paise with effect from midnight. However, it has kept petrol rates unchanged. Shares of the company closed at Rs 401.15 apiece, lower by 0.24 per cent on Thursday.
- PNB: Punjab National Bank said on Wednesday that its base rate has been cut by 40 basis points to 9.60 per cent. The revised rate will be effective from October 1. Shares of the bank closed at Rs 132.55 apiece, lower by 0.67%.
- L&T: Engineering and construction major Larsen & Toubro on Wednesday said its construction arm has won contracts worth Rs 1,376 core in power transmission and distribution business in domestic and international markets during this month. Shares of the company closed at Rs 1489.30 apiece, higher by 1.54 per cent from its previous close on Thursday.