Markets fell as harsh exchanges between ruling party and opposition suggested Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill may not see the light of the day in the winter session of the Parliament.
The 30-share index settled at 25,036.05, down 274.28 points, while broad-based 50-share index closed at 7,612.50, down 89.20 points.
Here are top stocks which are in focus today:
- Aditya Birla Nuvo: Shares of Aditya Birla Nuvo lost 3.45 per cent after the company on Tuesday said Rs 1,664 crore worth proceeds from 23 per cent stake sale in Birla Sun Life Insurance would substantially reduce its net debt and strengthen the balance sheet to support growth plans.
- BHEL: Shares of Bharat Heavy Electricals rose nearly 4 per cent in trade on Wednesday after the government on Tuesday said it has no plans to divest its stake in the company. The stock ended 2.61 per cent higher after hitting an intraday high of Rs 171.00, up 3.85 per cent on BSE.
- RIL: Reliance Industries, the largest investor in mutual funds worth around Rs 43,000 crore, is aggressively redeeming various funds of late to invest into its soon-to-be-launched telecom arm Jio, fuel expansion of its petrochemical business apart from paring debt. Though, stock ended 2.81 per cent down.
- Tata Communications: Tata Communications on Tuesday said it will sell majority of its subsidiary Neotel's fixed line assets to Vodacom South Africa but will retain control of licences including spectrum. Reacting to this, the stock shed 1.89 per cent.
- NBCC: State-owned NBCC on Tuesday said it has bagged projects worth Rs 192.74 crore during the last month. The stock closed 2.80 per cent down.
- Dr Reddy's: Stock of Dr Reddy's hit its fresh 52-week low in trade on Wednesday after the drug major submitted a response to the US health regulator on a warning letter it had received last month. The stock ended 2.41 per cent lower after falling as much as Rs 2953.35, down 3.82 per cent on BSE.
- NALCO: NALCO shares lost 4 per cent in trade today after the aluminium major launched a joint venture with Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Limited (GACL) to set up a caustic soda plant at an investment of Rs 1,800 crore.
- Larsen and Toubro: Shares of Larsen and Toubro (L&T) hit its 52-week low in intra-day deals today. The scrip ended 1.62 per cent down at Rs 1300.55 even as the company secured orders worth Rs 1,960 crore across business segments.