In a volatile trading session on Monday, the S&P BSE Sensex settled 106 points higher, while broader CNX Nifty managed to hold its key support level of 7,650 after data showed the November WPI inflation moved up to (-)1.99 per cent as compared to (-)3.81 per cent in October.
The 30-share index ended at 25,150.35, up 105.92 points, while the broad-based 50-share index quoted 7,650.05, up 39.60 points at close.
Market breadth remained positive with 19 of the 30 Sensex components ending the day in green.
Here are top 10 stocks that were in focus today:
- CIL: Opposing an immediate stake sale in Coal India, foreign investors have told the Finance Ministry that further disinvestment in the coal miner should be put off as the current market valuation is low. The stock ended 2.62 per cent higher.
- TCS: Floods in Chennai are expected to have a "material impact" on TCS' current quarter revenues, the country's largest software services firm said. The October-December quarter is usually a weak quarter for the Indian IT players. The stock lost 2 per cent intraday but ended flat.
- Monsanto: The Centre has decided to control prices of cotton seeds including the genetically modified versions by fixing a uniform maximum sale price from March 2016, a move that would deal a major blow to global hybrid seed company Monsanto. The stock gained 3.27 per cent.
- Mahindra & Mahindra: Mahindra & Mahindra is close to signing a deal to buy Italian car designer Pininfarina , two sources with direct knowledge of the matter said on Friday, the latest purchase of an iconic Italian brand by an Asian company. The stock ended 1.96 per cent up.
- Kalyani Forge: The Pune-based Kalyani Forge, which is into manufacturing of precision forged and machined components, plans to double turnover to Rs 500 crore in the next 2-3 years by entering a new product range and expansion. The stock ended 4.96 per cent higher.
- Cairn India: Cairn India is set to launch the world's largest enhanced oil recovery programme, investing about USD 760 million in the site where its first oil was discovered in the Thar desert of Rajasthan. The stock ended flat after rallying 3 per cent intraday.
- Hotel Leela Venture: The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has given approval for acquisition of Hotel Leela Venture's Goa property by Malaysia-based MetTube.The stock surged 2.53 per cent.
- PVR: The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has sought public comments on multiplex chain PVR's proposed acquisition of DT Cinemas.The stock lost 1.80 per cent.