The domestic markets ended lower in trade on Monday, swinging between minor gains and losses for most of the session, as sentiment turned cautious ahead of the expiry of derivative contracts in a holiday-shortened week.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended the day 46.17 per cent down at Rs 25,822.32, while broader CNX Nifty slipped below closed below its key support level of 7,850. The 50-share ended quoted 7,848.55, down 8 points at close.
Market breadth remained negative with 17 of the 30 Sensex components ending the day in red.
Here are top stocks which were in focus today:
- Vedanta & Hindalco Industries: The stock of Vedanta ended the day 3 per cent down at Rs 90.45, while Hindalco scrip lost 3.82 per cent, following news that the stocks will shift out of the BSE benchmark Sensex from December 21.
- Adani Ports, Asian Paints: Asia Index Private, a joint venture between S&P Dow Jones Indices and BSE Ltd, said it would add Adani Port and Special Economic Zone and Asian Paints to its 30-member S&P BSE Sensex index. Both scrips reacted positively to the news and rose up to 3 per cent on BSE.
- Advanta and UPL: Shares of Advanta wiped out all gains after surging 12 per cent in trade on Monday as board of directors of both the companies unanimously approved former's merger with the latter. The stock of Advanta ended flat after hitting an intraday high of Rs 532.85, up 11.90 per cent, on bse, while UPL shares reacted negatively to the development and ended 3.50 per cent down at Rs 441.95.
- Zee Entertainment Enterprises: Zee Theatre, the new content vertical of Zee Entertainment Enterprises, has become the first Indian media and entertainment firm to foray into theatre production and will start rolling out plays from December 25, a top company official has said. The stock of Zee Entertainment ended 2.98 per cent higher.
- Strides Shasun: Strides Shasun has received approval from the US health regulator to market Dutasteride capsules, used in treating enlarged prostate gland, in the American market. The stock closed 1 per cent higher.
- Vakrangee: Shares of Vakrangee rallied nearly 15 per cent on Monday after the midcap IT firm said it has entered into a strategic alliance with office automation firm Ricoh India. The stock hit its fresh 52-week of Rs 174.40, up 14.92 per cent on BSE, and settled the day 9 per cent higher at Rs 165.45.