A look at the recent rulings that can affect you:
- Market regulator Sebi has directed companies to announce the date when they will pay dividends or credit bonus shares. This will enable investors to manage their cash/securities flows efficiently and enhance transparency in the process.
- To ensure uniform treatment for all investors in rights issues, Sebi has decided that only one payment option may be given by the issuer to them, that is, either (i) part payment on application with balance money to be paid in calls or (ii) full payment on application.
- Sebi has notified that, from now on, persons associated with a registered stockbroker/trading member/clearing member in recognised stock exchanges, who deal with assets or funds of investors or clients, redressal of investor grievances, internal control or risk management, shall be required to have a valid certification from the National Institute of Securities Markets.
- Trai has announced that, effective from 1 January 2011, phone users will be able to block both promotional calls and SMSes at the Do-Not-Call registry by calling or messaging 1909. Defaulting telemarketers will have to pay a penalty of up to Rs 2.5 lakh.
- To boost the subscription to the National Pension System, the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority has increased the monetary incentive for points of presence (PoPs) from Rs 50 to Rs 150.