Mobile operators lobbying for further deferring the pan-India rollout of mobile number portability (MNP) scheduled for January 20 have been told by the government to strictly stick to the deadline and have been warned not to violate the norms.
The department of telecommunications (DoT), already in the dock over irregularities in the allocation of 2G spectrum, which according to the government audit watchdog Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) resulted in losses of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the state exchequer, has said there would be no further extension of MNP.
"The operators cannot keep on arm-twisting the government every time. Some operators have conveyed to us about the difficulty they are facing in rolling out pan-India MNP from January 20. They have been given adequate time," said a telecom ministry official.
MNP will allow mobile users to switch their operator while retaining their number. It has already been introduced in Haryana in late November last year. The government had earlier announced pan-India rollout from January 20.
The DoT is also of the view that MNP will help subscribers if the government cancels the license of their operator for delaying its rollout and missing the 2G roll-out obligations or on the ground of their ineligibility.
"We are planning to launch MNP nationwide by January 20. Once it is launched, consumers have options available even in a situation where some licencee or service provider loses his licence. Consumers can switch over without losing their numbers or services to other operators," R. Chandrasekhar, secretary, DoT, said.
He clarified that there would be no delay in the launch of MNP pan-India. He said that the all operators will launch the service on time.
Courtesy: Mail Today