With nationwide mobile number portability (MNP) rolled out today, here are five things you need to know about it.
- All operators, including Bharti Airtel, Vodafone, Idea and Reliance Communications, as also state-run MTNL and BSNL, have announced full mobile number portability (MNP) from Friday.
- MNP will enable customers to retain their mobile numbers even if they shift base to a new place.
- It will facilitate the users to choose the operator of their choice without changing their numbers.
- The government had set the deadline of Friday for telecom operators to roll out the MNP service. Earlier the deadline was May 3 but was extended by two months as operators were not ready.
- Some telecom operators are offering transfer of your prepaid mobile balance from one circle to another if the user does not change the network operator.
The number of users placing request for MNP increased from 153.85 million at the end of March 2015 to 157.01 million at the end of April 2015. The number of mobile users in the country was 97.33 crore at the end of April.