- Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday announced that the company is extending the ban on Donald Trumpís Facebook and Instagram indefinitely.
- Zuckerberg in a long Facebook post explained that it would be a risk to let Trump remain on the social media site.
- Trump's accounts will be banned until the peaceful transition of power is complete.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday announced that the company is extending the ban on Donald Trump's Facebook and Instagram indefinitely. Trump's social media accounts for encouraging rioters who had marched into the US Capitol building when US Congress was certifying Joe Biden as the next US President. However, despite attempts to overturn the US election result in which Trump slumped, Congress resumed session and certified Biden's victory over Trump's.
Earlier, Facebook had announced a 24-hour ban on Trump's account but later extended it indefinitely. Zuckerberg in a long Facebook post explained that it would be a risk to let Trump remain on the social media site. Here is his full statement:-
The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden.
His decision to use his platform to condone rather than condemn the actions of his supporters at the Capitol building has rightly disturbed people in the US and around the world. We removed these statements yesterday because we judged that their effect -- and likely their intent -- would be to provoke further violence.
Following the certification of the election results by Congress, the priority for the whole country must now be to ensure that the remaining 13 days and the days after inauguration pass peacefully and in accordance with established democratic norms.
Over the last several years, we have allowed President Trump to use our platform consistent with our own rules, at times removing content or labeling his posts when they violate our policies. We did this because we believe that the public has a right to the broadest possible access to political speech, even controversial speech. But the current context is now fundamentally different, involving use of our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government.
We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great. Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.
Not just Facebook, Twitter and Snap Inc had also locked Donald Trump's accounts temporarily. Limiting Trump's account, Twitter had said in a statement, "As a result of the unprecedented and ongoing violent situation in Washington, D.C., we have required the removal of three @realDonaldTrump Tweets that were posted earlier today for repeated and severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy. "This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked."
Google-owned video streaming service YouTube had also removed several videos that Donald Trump had posted in recent days."Over the last month, we've removed thousands of videos which spread misinformation claiming widespread voter fraud changed the result of the 2020 election, including several videos that President Trump posted on Wednesday to his channel," Google said in a statement.
Hours after the US Capitol Building invaded by Trump followers, he posted a video on Facebook saying that the election was stolen from him. "We had an election that was stolen from us," Trump said. "It was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now." However, he also asked the rioters to go home peacefully. The video was later pulled down by Facebook.