- The new update to Big Sur is available for download over the air.
- The macOS 11.3 also adds support for the new AirTag tracker from Apple.
- The new update also brings Safari enhancements.
Apple late on Monday rolled out its latest macOS Big Sur 11.3 update, which is the third update to the Big Sur operating system. It is now available for download on all compatible Macs. Users can manually check for update via Settings app > Software Update. One of the major highlights of the new Big Sur update is that it brings optimisations for M1 Macs launched in October last year. The latest update also adds support for the company's all-new tracking accessory, AirTag.
The all-new Big Sur 11.3 update also brings the option to change an iPhone or iPad app's window size and support for displaying the highest resolution version of an iPhone or iPad app on full screen. Much like iPhones, the new update on Mac also brings diverse voice options for Siri. There's also Safari enhancements like a customisation option for the Start page section, WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support. The macOS Big Sur 11.3 update adds support for Xbox Series X S Wireless Controller and Sony PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller on the gaming front. For Mac computers with an M1 chip, the new update adds hibernation support. The latest update is over 5.5GB in size, and we recommend users download it via Wi-Fi to save mobile data.
With the latest update, Apple also fixes old malware. The company told Techcrunch that macOS 11.3 fixes the macOS bug that exploited vulnerabilities.
"Apple also patched earlier macOS versions to prevent abuse, and pushed out updated rules to XProtect, macOS' in-built anti-malware engine, to block malware from exploiting the vulnerability," TechCrunch citing Apple wrote.
macOS Big Sur 11.3: Full Changelog
macOS Big Sur 11.3adds support for AirTag, includes iPhone and iPad app improvements for Macs with M1, introduces separate skin tone variations for emoji with couples, and adds more diverse voice options for Siri.
AirTag and Find My
- Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack, and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
- The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn't nearby
- Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
- Option to change an iPhone and iPad app's window size
- Support for displaying the highest resolution version of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen
- Keyboard support for iPhone and iPad games designed to use device tilt
- Keyboard, mouse, and trackpad support for iPhone and iPad games that support game controllers
- Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
- New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
- Siri now includes more diverse voice options
- Autoplay keeps the music playing by automatically playing a similar song once you've reached the end of a song or playlist
- City charts showcase what's popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
- Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
- Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
- Download behaviour and notification settings can be customised on a show-by-show basis
- Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
- Redesigned News+ feed enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
- All-new search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
- Start Page section order can now be customised
- Additional WebExtensions API lets developers offer extensions that replace the new tab page
- Web Speech API lets developers incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for real-time captioning, dictation, and voice navigation
- WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support
- Ability to sort Today Smart list
- Support for syncing the order of reminders in lists across your devices
- Option to print your reminder lists
- Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller support
Mac computers with the M1 chip
- Hibernation support
About This Mac
- About this Mac displays Apple warranty status and AppleCare+ coverage in the Service tab when signed in with Apple ID
- Support for purchasing and enrolling in AppleCare+ for eligible Mac computers from About This Mac
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Reminders created via Siri may be unintentionally set for early morning hours
- iCloud Keychain might not turn off
- AirPods audio routing to incorrect device for Automatic Switching
- AirPods Automatic Switching notifications might be missing or duplicated
- External 4K monitors may not display in full resolution when connected over USB-C
- Login window may not display properly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020)
- The Dwell feature may not work in the Accessibility Keyboard