- Nokia phone went up in flames leaving the user with serious burn injuries.
- The incident took place in the middle of the night in Kerala.
- The report reveals that the phone was kept under the pillow when it caught fire
Nokia feature phones have been known for their sturdiness and longevity but what happened in Kerala will shock will users. A Nokia phone went up in flames leaving the user with serious burn injuries. The incident took place in the middle of the night in Kerala.
Update: Nokia has reacted to the incident. "HMD is committed to producing high-quality handsets that deliver a strong user experience and meet high customer expectations. We take any customer concerns seriously. In response to the reported case in Kerala, we spoke to the customer and understand that he had purchased the device four years ago in 2016. The device was not manufactured or sold by HMD. Further, the customer has shared that he disposed of the device and has no further request on it," the statement read.
As per a Kerala-based newspaper Manorama, Chandra Babu from Kollam district was asleep when the phone exploded. The report reveals that the phone was kept under the pillow when it caught fire, Babu was woken up with niggling pain in the shoulder. On waking up, he realized that his phone had caught fire and there were sparks coming out of it. Babu suffered burn injuries on his left arm and shoulder.
Babu, who was alone at home at that time threw the phone and rushed to the hospital.
"I was back home after a long ride to the Trivandrum International Airport with a passenger. Since I was very tired, I had a sound sleep. I woke up as I felt a searing pain in my shoulder. When I looked at the bed, the side of the pillow where the phone was kept was burnt and sparks were coming from the phone," the 53-year-old Babu told The News Minute.
In case you are wondering whether the phone was plugged into the charger when it exploded, you are wrong. The phone was not plugged into the charger, it was simply kept under the pillow. The reason why the phone caught fire is unknown but Babu suggests that it could have happened due to overheating, which might have created pressure on the battery causing it to explode.
While we do not why Babu's phone caught fire, there are many reasons why a phone catches fire.
— A manufacturing defect in the phone could lead to the explosion of a phone. The battery that ships with the smartphone should be properly tested before it is sold.
— Overnight charging is one of the prime reasons why a phone could explode. Most people have the habit of keeping their phones on charge throughout the night. While some phones come equipped with technology that automatically stops after the phone hits 100 percent, there are still some phones in the budget categories that do not come with the feature. So you should avoid charging your phone overnight. And if you plan to do it, keep the phone away from your bed.