- PUBG Corporation on Tuesday said in a statement that PUBG Mobile will no longer be controlled by Tencent Games in India
- The government earlier this week had banned PUBG Mobile and 117 other Chinese apps including Apus Launcher and others.
- The government had said that the apps were “prejudicial to the sovereignty, integrity, defense of India, and public order.”
In view of the recent ban imposed on PUBG Mobile by the Indian government, the PUBG Corporation on Tuesday announced that it has broken all ties with Tencent Games for its PUBG mobile franchise in India. This means that the app can now make a comeback in India considering its Chinese connection is now a thing of the past.
The government earlier this week had banned PUBG Mobile and 117 other Chinese apps including Apus Launcher Pro, AppLock, WeChat Work, Baidu among others. Soon after the ban was announced, PUBG was removed from Google Play Store and Apple App Store. However, it has not been blocked by the Internet service providers yet which means that the users who already have the app installed can still use.
This piece of news can be particularly delightful for users who have been lamenting the loss of PUBG ever since it was banned in India. However, whether the app will make a comeback in India or not, only the company or the government can confirm. So for now let us have a look at the developments that have taken place so far.
—PUBG Corporation on Tuesday said in a statement that PUBG Mobile will no longer be controlled by Tencent Games in India and the South Korean-company will take full control of all the publishing responsibilities.
— In a statement, the company said, "PUBG Corporation has made the decision to no longer authorize the PUBG MOBILE franchise to Tencent Games in India. Moving forward, PUBG Corporation will take on all publishing responsibilities within the country. As the company explores ways to provide its own PUBG experience for India in the near future, it is committed to doing so by sustaining a localized and healthy gameplay environment for its fan."
— It is important to note that PUBG Corporation is a South Korean Company and not a Chinese company. However, the mobile version of the PUBG game was developed by Tencent Games, which is a Chinese company. This was the reason why only the PUBG Mobile was banned and not the PC or console version of the app. Even after the ban was announced the users couldn't download PUBG on their mobile phones but could play the PUBG game on their PCs or gaming consoles.
-- Even if PUBG Corp distances itself from Tencent Games, it would still remain the developer of the PUBG Mobile. This could be one of the reasons why the Indian Government might not consider reinstating it. PUBG Corp may have to fix this before they get on the talks with the government to unban the app in India.
— The Indian government had banned the apps because they were "prejudicial to the sovereignty, integrity, defense of India, and public order." Further, the government had said that it had received many complaints about the apps transmitting users' data in an unauthorized manner. "The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has received many complaints from various sources including several reports about the misuse of some mobile apps available on Android and iOS platforms for stealing and surreptitiously transmitting users' data in an unauthorized manner to servers which have locations outside India. This move will safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users. This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security, and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace," the government had said in a statement.