- Samsung has announced 3 major updates for some of its phones.
- The Galaxy Note 20 and S20 series phones will be part of this select list.
- The company will also be extending these updates to some Galaxy Tab S devices.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 launch brought with itself a number of surpises, among which was the also the announcement that the company will be start supporting some of its devices for 3 years with major Android updates -- a move that matches the Google's policy with the Pixel lineup.
And after making that announcement, the company has gone ahead and revealed the list of devices that will be getting this support for three major Android updates during their life cycle. The complete list was revealed in a blog post the company in which it confirmed 38 devices that will be getting Android updates through "3 generations". This is quite interesting as at the time of the initial announcement, it was believed that it will only be the flagships such as the S20 and Note 20 series phones that will be given this treatment of three years of updates.
Apart from these two line-ups, Samsung will also be making a number of other Galaxy smartphones available for updates.
"Samsung is committed to supporting our users to fully enjoy the latest mobile experiences while they are using Galaxy devices," said Janghyun Yoon, Senior Vice President and Head of Software Platform Team, Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics. "As people hold onto their devices for longer, we are working to bring secure protection and exciting new features to the devices already in their hands. By supporting up to three generations of Android OS upgrade, we are extending the lifecycle of our Galaxy products and making a promise that we will provide a simple and secure mobile experience that takes advantage of the latest innovations as soon as they are available."
Here's the full list of Samsung smartphones and tablets that will get major updates for three years.
- Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices.
- Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices.
- Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices.
- Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices.
- Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices.