- Xiaomi Mi QLED TV 4K is available at Rs 54,999.
- The Mi QLED TV 4K offers a big 55-inch panel.
- The new smart TV from Xiaomi also brings a 6-speaker system.
Xiaomi has been attempting to shake up the smart TV market with its aggressively priced products that impress not only with the price but also their feature set. And the latest product that attempts to do so is Xiaomi's Mi QLED TV 4K. However, unlike the previous smart TVs that Xiaomi has launched, this one is more ambitious in its scope as it also happens to be the company's most premium offering to date in the television segment.
Priced at an aggressive Rs 54,999, the Mi QLED TV 4K attempts to take on offerings from OnePlus and TCL which are available at similar price points. But its impact could be felt more by more expensive QLED TVs from Samsung. We recently reviewed Xiaomi's new smart TV, here's our take on it in five concise points.
1) The Mi QLED TV 4K uses a big panel that's accompanied by very little terms of bezels on three sides, with the bottom of the smart TV flaunting a bit of a chin that has been camouflaged using a chrome metal strip with the Mi logo plastered in the middle of it. The TV offers an impressive 96% screen-to-body ratio which should make it seamless merge with most modern style homes.
2) The Mi QLED TV 4K ships with a Bluetooth remote which is lightweight device that can be paired to the TV for an uninterrupted link to the smart TV. It is made out of good quality plastic and houses dedicated keys for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. There are no buttons for quickly accessing the settings screen or for the matter muting the TV, however, the latter can be done by double-tapping the volume down button while long-pressing the Mi button on the remote can take the user directly to the settings page.
3) This Mi QLED TV 4K comes with a VA panel that can churn out visuals in up to 4K resolution while refreshing at a standard speed of 60Hz. The panel uses Quantum Dot technology which enables it to offer good colour reproduction, and handle blacks well. There's no local dimming for improved performance.
The Mi QLED TV also offers support for formats such as HDR 10, HDR 10+, and Dolby Vision and is capable of switching between color formats including DCI-P3, BT 2020, BT709 among others. This greatly enhances the MI QLED TV's ability to handle high-quality HDR content that's easily available these days on platforms such as Netflix.
4) Another impressive thing about the Mi QLED TV 4K is its 6-speaker set-up fitted inside the TV. Xiaomi has equipped the Mi QLED TV 4K with a speaker system that uses four full-range drivers paired to two tweeters. In practice, this set-up proves to be quite competent as it produces crisp sound for which is not only loud but also feels rich for watching movies.
5) The TV also offers high brightness and it also offers good dynamic range which greatly enhances the experience of watching high-quality content on the TV. Colours pop and the panel generally makes visuals very life-like. Interestingly, we found the QLED TV 4K to also offer good upscaling of resolution to ensure that the content doesn't look out of place.
The only real issue that one can face with the viewing experience of the MI QLED TV is if you watch content on it from an angle. In this case, the VA panel can produce a slightly below-par visual experience.
Mi QLED TV 4K: Verdict
At Rs 54,999 the Mi QLED TV 4K is definitely not cheap. However, it is still more favourable in price compared to competing for QLED offerings from OnePlus and Samsung. As we had also mentioned in our full review, the new Xiaomi TV may not be the best QLED TV in the market right now in terms of panel quality but it is arguably the most value for money QLED offering right now.
It offers good picture quality to the table but also provides powerful performance in the sound department. To help the TV, Xiaomi's also added a good upscaler and a few software tweaks to further enhance the value of this offering. All of this comes together to make the Mi QLED TV 4K a no-brainer if you're looking for good picture and sound quality on a TV but on a budget.