President Pranab Mukherjee kicked off the Budget session today with a speech addressing a joint session of Parliament. The Finance Minister will present the Budget tomorrow in the Lok Sabha. The Budget will be presented for the first time on February 1, moving away from the tradition of presenting it on the last day of February every year. Also, there will be no separate Rail Budget this year, as it has been merged with the Union Budget.
In his speech, President Mukherjee highlighted some of the work the government has done and also praised the citizens for the resilience shown in the fight against black money. Below are some of the key points he made in the speech:
- This is a historic session heralding advancement of budget cycle and merger of general budget with rail budget for the first time: President Pranab Mukherjee
- To combat black money, corruption, counterfeit currency, terror financing, govt decided to demonetise old currency notes, says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Resilience demonstrated by our countrymen particularly the poor, in the fight against black money and corruption, is remarkable, says President Mukherjee
- Govt has simplified procedures, repealed obsolete laws and eliminated scope for corruption: President
- My government is making 'naari shakti' an integral part of our development journey, they deserve equal opportunities: President Pranab Mukherjee
- My government has taken various steps to transform the lives of our farmers, says President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Soaring prices of pulses was matter of great concern around this time last year, my government took proactive steps to bring it under control: President Mukherjee
- At the core of all my government policies, is the welfare of gareeb, peedit, Dalit, vanchhit: President Pranab Mukherjee
- My government has taken may initiatives to improve the quality of life of people, says President Pranab Mukherjee.
- My government committed to providing shelter to every houseless with appropriate interest subvention, the president said.
- 11,000 of 18,000 villages which were in darkness since independence electrified in record time, the president said.
- India gave a befitting reply to repeated incursions by conducting successful surgical strikes: President