Numbers of note
Do you know how many people are employed in tourism sector? Or how much IIM-C is investing to remodel its campus? Read on...
- 41.8 million: The number of people who are directly or indirectly employed in the tourism sector in India, according to a study by Elixir Web Solutions.
- Rs 100 crore: The amount IIM-C is investing over three years to remodel its campus to make room for more students and give it an international look.
- $2.7 billion (Rs 10,800 crore): The amount Indian companies and India-related investment funds raised on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) in 2006, according to CII.
- $2 billion (Rs 8,000 crore): The amount Vodafone will spend a year in India.
- Rs 9,200 crore: The expected size of the e-commerce market in India by the end of 2007-08, according to an IMAI and IMRB survey.
- 0.8 per cent: India’s current share in world trade, compared to 3 per cent in 1947.
- Rs 20,000 crore: The money expected to be raised through IPOs in November 2007, the biggest funds mop-up in a single month.
- Rs 60,970 crore: The total tax collected from March 1, 2007 to August 31, 2007.
- $3.2 billion (Rs 12,800 crore): FII investment in September 2007 compared to $1.32 billion (Rs 5,280 crore) in September 2006.
- Rs 9.50 lakh crore: Projected AUM of the domestic mutual funds industry in 2010, up from Rs 4.67 lakh crore in July 2007.
$7.05 billion (Rs 28,200 crore): External commercial borrowings of Indian companies in the April-June quarter of 2007-08.
- 57,931 tonnes: Global organic cotton production in 2006-07.
- 80 per cent: Temporary staff who quit jobs before completing their contracts.
- $3 billion (Rs 12,000 crore): India’s annual leather exports.