Amid an unprecedented number of cases in the country, vaccination drive for 18 years and above is set to open on May 1. Registration for the new phase begins today. One can register for the vaccine on the CoWin app as well as on the Aarogya Setu app.
However, as the country struggles with a shortage of vaccine doses, some states might not start the latest phase on May 1. While Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh have stated that they are expecting more doses to cater to the new additions, some states like Punjab, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh had stated that they might not be able to open up the vaccination from Saturday.
Meanwhile, the Centre allowed states to procure vaccines directly from the manufacturers. COVID-19 vaccine makers can supply 50 per cent of their stock to states and private hospitals. To that end, Serum Institute has priced Covishield at Rs 400 per dose for states and Rs 600 per dose for private hospitals. Bharat Biotech, on the other hand, has priced Covaxin at Rs 600 per dose for government and Rs 1,200 per dose for private hospitals. Amid the subsequent furore that ensued because of the differential pricing, the Centre asked both the vaccine makers to lower their prices.
The government will continue to provide the COVID-19 vaccine for free but for those who take the vaccines at state government-run or private hospitals, the price will be as aforementioned. The Centre also said that it will continue to give vaccine doses from its quota to state and union territories for free.
One must keep in mind that vaccination in this phase will require registration and there will be no walk-in vaccinations. Recipients can register through CoWin app or Aarogya Setu app. Here's how:
- Open www.cowin.gov.in on web browser or download the app
- Click on Register/Sign in
- Enter mobile number for the OTP. Once done, click on Get OTP
- Once OTP is generated, enter it and click Verify
- Enter details like name, age, gender, photo ID proof on Register for Vaccination page
- Click on Register. Then click on Schedule button next to name of the person
- Enter pin code, or select from the list of districts. Once done, vaccination centres will show up
- Select vaccination centre, date, time. Once done, click Confirm
- As many as four people can be registered from same mobile number
AAROGYA SETU APP
- Click on CoWIN tab on the home screen
- Press on Vaccination Registration
- Enter phone number for OTP
- Once it is verified, Aarogya Setu will lead to Registration of Vaccination page
- Enter details like aforementioned
- Enter pin code or select district to get list of vaccination centres. Once done, pick desired centre
- Enter date to check availability. Pick time slot
- Once done, confirm appointment