Prime Minister Narendra Modi's headline speech at India Today Conclave 2019 on Saturday reflected his government's achievements in the last five years, India's changing stance on foreign policy and terrorism, and outlined the BJP's agenda before the 2019 General Elections. He took several barbs at the Congress-led Opposition and attacked it on the issues including the country's economic condition and the scams that tarnished the country's image during the previous government's tenure. Here are 5 major points Prime Minister Narendra Modi raised during his speech at the India Today Conclave 2019.
- Foreign policy: Prime Minister Narendra Modi said after he was elected as the PM in 2014, media used to discuss whether he would be able to deliver on the foreign policy front. "The recent turn of events (air strikes in Pakistan Balakot region, the return of Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman and the cornering of Pakistan at the global stage) must have revealed to you the impact of India's foreign policy today," said PM Modi. He added India was following new strategies and that today's India was "fearless, bold and decisive".
- National security: Prime Minister Narendra Modi hit out at the Opposition for doubting the armed forces on the anti-terror air strike in Pakistan and said the country was feeling the absence of Rafale fighter jets as the results could have been different if India had these aircraft. "India is feeling the absence of Rafale. The entire country is saying in one voice today if we had Rafale probably the result would have been different. The country has suffered a lot due to selfish interests earlier and now politics over Rafale (Rafale ki kami aaj desh ne mehsoos ki hai. Aaj Hindustan ek swar mei kah rha hai ki agar hamare pas rafale hota to kya hota? Rafale par pahle swarthniti ke kaaran aur ab raajniti ke kaaran desh ka nuksan hua hai)," said the PM.
- Supreme power of security forces: Prime Minister Narendra Modi also said the brave IAF pilot, Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, could only be released from Pakistan due to the influence of India's changing foreign policy. He said every soldier's blood was previous, and under the current government, no one should dare raise their eyes against India. Welcoming his instant released from Pakistan, he had earlier said that the entire nation was proud of him. Abhinandan shot down Pakistan's F-16 fighter jet during a dogfight over the LoC last week, though in this fight his own fighter jet, MiG 21 Bison, was also downed after which his parachute landed in PoK. Pakistan was forced to release him in just three days of capture after an intense back channel diplomacy by India.
- Policies implementation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, slamming the Congress for its failure in implementing policies during its tenure, said the previous government was good at formulating laws and policies but did little to implement them. From food security to road network and electricity for each household to the empowerment of poor -- the PM recounted every achievement of his government during his speech at the India Today Conclave 2019. He said the Food Security Act, which was launched amid a lot of noise by the UPA, was implemented in just 11 states when the BJP came to power. "Our government has implemented this law in all states and UTs." The work on laying optical fibre networks was going on a fast pace, he said. "Similarly, the FDI is coming at the fastest pace today. The pace of sanitation is increasing in the fastest way," he said. "So like 'Sabse Tez (fastest)' is the tagline of your channel Aaj Tak (India Today Group's Hindi channel), the 'Sabse Tez' is the tagline of our government," said Modi.
- Lok Sabha elections 2019: Setting the tone for 2019 Lok Sabha elections, which is likely to be held in May, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the country's journey from 2019 was a "story of the changing dreams". "From 2014 to 2019, and now 2019, the story of India is a story of changing dreams. It is a story of despair towards becoming the pinnacle of hope. It is the story of determination to accomplishment (2014 se 2019 aur 2019 se shuru hone vali aage ki ye yarta badalte hue sapno ki kahani hai. Nirasha ki sthiti se aasha ke shikhar tak pahuchane ki kahani hai. Sankalp se siddhi ki aur le jane vali kahani hai)."
Edited by Manoj Sharma