The voter identification has been made mandatory by the ECI at the time of polls.
A voter ID card is an important document issued by the government of India, which permits the citizen of India to cast a vote in elections at the regional, state and national levels.
It is an ID card that is issued by the Election Commission and is also known as Electoral Photo ID Card or Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC).
The Voter ID Card issued by the ECI or any other documentary proof allowed by the ECI is to be shown in order to be able to vote.
In case an elector does not have a voter ID card or EPIC, following is the list of specified photo identity documents that voters can use as a photo identity proof, to cast vote:
- Driving License
- Service Identity Cards with photograph issued to employees by Central/State Govt./PSUs/Public Limited Companies
- Passbooks with photograph issued by Bank/Post Office
- PAN Card
- Smart Card issued by RGI under NPR
- MNREGA Job Card (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee)
- Health Insurance Smart Card issued under the scheme of Ministry of Labour
- Pension document with photograph
- Official identity cards issued to MPs/MLAs/MLCs
- Aadhaar Card
To cast their vote, every voter is required to carry voter slip along with their voter ID card that is issued by the Election Commission of India (EC). Voter slip can be downloaded online from nvsp.in.
However, having your Voter ID Card does not necessarily mean that the citizen shall be allowed to vote. One can only cast vote if their name appears in the Voter List, also known as the electoral roll.
Thus, possession of an identification document prescribed by the ECI as well as the presence of voter's name on the electoral roll list is imperative for voting.
For checking if a citizen's name is on the voter list, the voter can do the following:
- Send an SMS to 1950 in the given format-ECI <space> EPIC No- to check if citizen's name is on the voters' list.
- Example- If voter's EPIC No is 01234567, SMS ECI 01234567 to 1950