Prime Minister Narendra Modi has led BJP to a stunning victory for the saffron party, with the party taking a massive lead early on in vote counting today morning.
BJP got 311 seats to emerge as the single largest party with a majority to form the government in Lucknow. A saffron sweep is visible across the length and breadth of Uttar Pradesh, except some pockets where Samajwadi Party has done well.
The ballot in the northern state represents the most important electoral test that PM Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has faced since winning the 2014 general election.
The victory is an endorsement of PM Modi's stewardship of Asia's third-largest economy after his high-risk decision last November to scrap high-value banknotes worth 86 per cent of the cash in circulation.
Here are all the LIVE updates of the D-Day:
- 6:05 PM: I want to quit fighting any type of election, says Irom Shrmila after polling just 90 votes
- 6:00 PM: Akhilesh Yadav submits his resignation to Governor Ram Naik, from the post of Uttar Pradesh CM
- 5:18 PM: Outgoing UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav today said that he accepts the verdict of people with humility and entering into alliance with Congress was not a wrong step.
- 5:15 PM: "May be people of the state did not like the Express Way but voted for bullet train," said Yadav while addressing a press conference in Lucknow.
- 5:13 PM: I congratulate Shri. Narendra Modi and the BJP on their victory in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, Rahul Gandhi tweeted.
- 3:58 PM: Akhilesh to submit his resignation to the Governor at 6:00 in the evening
- 3:56 PM: The people of this country are strongly standing by the side of the Prime Minister on the issue of demonetisation: Amit Shah
- 3:54 PM: We accept our defeat in PUnjab, PM Modi also congratulated Amrinder Singh, says Amit Shah
- 3:52 PM: A voter has no religion, people want development: Amit Shah
- 3:47 PM: Most capable candidate would be UP's CM, says Amit Shah
- 3:46 PM: The people of Uttar Pradesh are out of the Hindu-Muslim issues. Everyone wants progress: Amit Shah
- 3:45 PM: We our moving towards big victory in Amethi and Rae Bareily
- 3:43 PM: Over Mayawati's allegations, Shah says, "I can understand her mental state right now, would not like to comment on it"
- 3:42 PM: From the beginning, our party has believed that the country's double digit growth rate can't take place until Uttar Pradesh grows in double digits: Amit Shah
- 3:42 PM: The people have given a fitting reply to many allegations made against Narendra Modi: Amit Shah
- 3:41 PM: Under PM Modi's leadership, the new UP government will develop the state
- 3:39 PM: People have accepted BJP's politics of performance
- 3:38 PM: People have supported Prime Minister Narendra Modi's leadership. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the most popular leader since independence: Amit Shah
- 3:37 PM: Demonetisation worked in our favour in these polls, says Amit Shah
- 3:36 PM: This is BJP's biggest victory in Uttar Pradesh after independence
- 3:35 PM: I would like to thank the people of UP, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur and Goa: Amit Shah
- 3:34 PM: Assembly results are very encouraging for BJP, says Amit Shah
- 3:33 PM: Amit Shah addresses media in New Delhi
- 3:32 PM: Amit Shah will be addressing media shortly
- 3:28 PM: Outgoing Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat leaves to meet Governor
- 3:26 PM: Navjot Singh Sidhu wins Amritsar East by 42,000 votes
- 3:07 PM: Amit Shah credits PM Modi's 'progressive leadership' for BJP's massive win in Uttar Pradesh
- 2:54 PM: Ravishankar Prasad congratulates Keshav Prasad Maurya
- 2:49 PM: BJP chief Amit Shah reaches at BJP headquarters in New Delhi
- 2:26 PM: Here's what Keshav Prasad Maurya, BJP UP Chief, said about Mayawati's 'EVM tampering' allegation
- 2:20 PM: CM Harish Rawat also loses from Kichcha. BJP's Rajesh Shukla wins from the seat by 2154 votes
- 2:18 PM: PM Narendra Modi congratulates Captain Amrinder Singh on his victory
Spoke to @capt_amarinder & congratulated him on the win in Punjab. Also wished him a happy birthday & prayed for his long & healthy life.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 11, 2017
- 2:12 PM: BJP rubbishes Mayawati's claim of tampered EVM machines
- 2:09 PM: AAP Leader Alka Lamba says her party has given tough fight to established parties in Assembly elections
- 2:04 PM: Senior Congress leader Luizinho Faleiro wins in Goa
- 1:58 PM: Nirmala Sitharam thanks voter for a thumping victory in Uttar Pradesh
- 1:55 PM: BJP wins 8, INC 8, NCP 1, MGP 1, GFP 3 in Goa
- 1:53 PM: Congress and BJP leading in 18 seats in Manipur
- 1:51 PM: I openly challenge Amit Shah, if you believe you have won honestly, ask EC to conduct polls again through ballot paper: Mayawati
- 1:49 PM: Muslims are saying we have not voted for the BJP, how has the votes been transferred to the BJP. This is the talk of the town in UP: Mayawati
- 1:48 PM: We have written to Election Commission over the issue related to EVM: Mayawati
- 1:47 PM: If the same system of voting is organised in 2019 polls then democracy in this country won't exist
- 1:46 PM: If BJP is honest, they should write to Election Commission asking for an arrangement of polls using ballot paper instead of EVM: Mayawati
- 1:44 PM: Mayawati questions EVM machines, BJP did not give ticket to any muslim candidate
- 1:42 PM: Results of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand are shocking
- 1:41 PM: Mayawati alleges that EVM machines did not register votes other than BJP's
- 1:40 PM: Mayawati says EVMs compromised for massive BJP victory in UP
- 1:40 PM: Mayawati says "results tough to swallow"
- 1:37 PM: EVM machines have been tampered, says Mayawati
- 1:37 PM: Mayawati addresses media, cries foul
- 1:31 PM: Piyush Goel tweets thanking people for the mandate
- 1:25 PM: CM Harish Rawat loses both seats, to meet Governor at 3 PM
- 1:24 PM: Manipur: BJP wins 3, Congress-8, NPF-3,Others-2
- 1:05 PM: The Bharatiya Janata Party won 299 seats in Uttar Pradesh, the Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance won 67 seats and Mayawati's BSP won only 20 seats.
- 1:00 PM: BJP going neck-to-neck in Goa
- 12:40 PM: Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal concedes defeat, says will offer his resignation to governor tomorrow
- 12:29 PM: Captain Amrinder Singh thnaks voters for victory in Punjab
Grateful to the people of Punjab for their overwhelming support! With this verdict, it's time to bring back the heydays of Punjab!— Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) March 11, 2017
- 12:23 PM: "Historic mandate to BJP, shows people have supported PM Modi's policies," said Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh
- 12:19 PM: Okram Ibobi Singh won from Thoubal constituency beating activist-turned-politician Irom Sharmila who bagged just around 90 votes
- 12:15 PM: Punjab election results 2017: Amarinder Singh is King as Congress storms back to power
- 12:12 PM: This is the revival of Congress: Navjot Singh Sidhu on Punjab
- 12:10 PM: Need to rise above caste & community and give preference to development: Santosh Gangwar
- 12:09 PM:This is a victory of people's faith and believe: Navjot Singh Sidhu
- 12:06 PM: BJP bags landslide win in Uttarakhand, all eyes on who will be the next CM
- 12:04 PM: Home Minister Rajnath Singh thanks party workers for the massive victory
विजय का श्रेय पार्टी के राष्ट्रीय अध्यक्ष की संगठन क्षमता एवं भाजपा कार्यकर्ताओं को भी जाता है जिन्होंने इन चुनावों में अथक परिश्रम किया है.— Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) March 11, 2017
- 11:59 AM: It's not SP's defeat, arrogance did not let us win, says Shivpal Yadav
- 11:57 AM: Saffron Holi for BJP in Uttar Pradesh; touches 300
- 11:52 AM: BJP national secretary Shrikant Sharma wins from Mathura
- 11:49 AM: Congress, BJP going neck-to-neck in Goa
- 11:48 AM: Election results yet to become official, but Congress MLAs in Punjab plan meeting with governor
- 11:46 AM: Watch how BJP has saffronised Uttar Pradesh
- 11:44 AM: Congress' Francisco Silveira wins from St. Andre seat in Goa
- 11:44 AM: Former Goa Deputy CM Francisco D'Souza of BJP wins from Mapusa constituency
- 11:44 AM: Congress' Pratapsingh Rane wins from Poriem constituency
- 11:40 AM: Rahul Gandhi cannot be blamed for everything, vote bank Politics has won: Congress
- 11:37 AM: Today nation is standing with PM Modi. This is the victory of people of UP and Uttarakhand, says Union Minister Piyush Goyal
- 11:34 AM: BSP hasn't been able to open its account in Uttarakhand
- 11:32 AM: Sanjay Jha of Congress tells India Today that Congress is disappointed with the outcome of Assembly Elections 2017 in Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- 11:30 AM: Bharatiya Janata Party takes lead over Congress in Manipur
- 11:26 AM: SAD-BJP losing momentum, now leading in only 20 seats in Punjab
- 11:21 AM: Ex Jammu and Kashmir CM Omar Abdullah tweeted about the Modi Wave
- 11:19 AM: Clean sweep by BJP (55) with Congress stumbling at 10
- 11:14 AM: Rawat trailing with as many as 10,995 votes to BJP's Yatishwaranand in Haridwar Rural constituency
- 11:13 AM: Samajwadi Party Candidate Raghuraj Pratap Singh trailing from Kunda, Pratapgarh
- 11:12 AM: Not only is Congress leading by big margin, it could go on to win two-thirds majority in Punjab
- 11:10 AM: No decision yet on the new UP CM, says UP BJP chief,Keshav Prasad Maurya
How the hell did almost all the experts/analysts miss this wave in UP? It's a tsunami not a ripple in a small pond.— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) March 11, 2017
- 11:04 AM: Trends show BJP's Sangeet Som is ahead of his nearest SP rival Atul Pradhan by a margin of 8,359 votes in Sardhana seat
- 11:02 AM: AAP CM candidate for Goa Elvis Gomes currently at third position in Cuncolim, Congress first, Independent second
- 10:53 AM: Amrinder Singh all set to captain Punjab
- 10:47 AM: Sambit Patra talks about the potential CM candidate in UP
- 10:41 AM: BJP starts celebrations in Uttar Pradesh; set for an historic win
- 10:39 AM: Omar Abdulla reacts to assembly results, "At this rate we might as well forget 2019 & start planning/hoping for 2024", he tweeted
10:47 AM: Sambit Patra talks about the potential CM candidate in UP
- 10:34 AM: Rajnath Singh's son Pankaj Singh leading in Noida
- 10:33 AM: BJP ahead in 48 constituencies as per trends from 62 out of 70 Assembly seats
- 10:29 AM: After Uttar Pradesh, Bhartiya Janata Party(BJP) has a reason to celebrate
- 10:25 AM: Close battle between Bhartiya Janata Party(BJP) and Congress in Goa
At this rate we might as well forget 2019 & start planning/hoping for 2024.— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) March 11, 2017
- 10:24 AM: BJP takes unassailable lead in UP, to also form govt in Uttarakhand; Congress set to win Punjab
- 10:22 AM: EC latest trend update: Uttarakhand Chief Minister (CM) is trailing, Goa CM lost, Manipur and Punjab chief miniters' leading
- 10:19 AM: Congress crosses halfway mark in Punjab; leads in 65 seats; big dent on Kejriwal's ambitions
- 10:16 AM: Yogi Adityanath slams SP-coalition,"People have rejected their coalition as they were against the country"
- 10:12 AM: Irom Sharmila loses to CM Okram Ibobi Singh
- 9:58 AM: Harish Rawat trailing in Kiccha Assembly contituency of Uttarakhand
- 9:55 AM: It is turning out to be a very happy birthday for Captain Amrinder Singh; Congress ahead of competition by 2:1 margin
- 9:49 AM: First result from Goa, CM Lakshmikanth Parsekar loses
- 9:47 AM: BJP leading in 52 out of 66 seats in Uttrakhand
- 9:46 AM: We will accept the people's verdict, says SP leader Shivpal Yadav
- 9:45 AM: Sukhbir Singh Badal leading in Jalalabad
- 9:44 AM: Captain Amarinder Singh set to register victory for Congress; Akalis doing better than expected
- 9:41 AM: The SP-Congress alliance won 59 seats in Uttar Pradesh. The BJP has won 232 seats until now
- 9:39 AM: Workers start early celebrations at BJP's office in Lucknow
- 9:37 AM: Latest Punjab trends: Congress-48, SAD+BJP-28, AAP-24, BJP-4
- 9:34 AM: Shivpal Yadav leading from Jaswant Nagar seat
- 9:28 AM: BJP leading by 200 seats in Uttar Pradesh
- 9:22 AM: CM Ibobi Singh looks set for record fourth term
- 9:20 AM: Congress is surging ahead in Punjab
- BJP/SAD: 12
- 9:19 AM: Chief Minister Harish Rawat leading from Haridwar Rural seat
Authentic,communicating & performing leadership with— Kiran Bedi (@thekiranbedi) March 11, 2017
in-exhaustible stamina and
a strongly rooted organisational system-WINS 🏆@PMOIndia
- 9:17 AM: Bharatiya Janata Party gets clear lead in Uttarakhand with 19 seats
- 9:16 AM: BJP seems to be making it tough for the opponents in UP
BJP now surging ahead in 200+ seats in UP trends. Explains the prime minister's big Varanasi push. To set a record.To prove detractors wrong— GAURAV C SAWANT (@gauravcsawant) March 11, 2017
- 9:12 PM: latest trends in Uttrakhand show: Congress 14, BJP 13, Other 2
- 9:11 AM: In round 1, BJP leads in 5, SP and BSP in one each in Uttar Pradesh Election says EC
- 9:09 AM: We are not yet sure if these are postal votes, the picture will become clearer by 10:30, says Congress spokesperson Ajoy Kumar
- 9:07 AM: Rita Bahuguna Joshi is ahead in Lucknow Cantt while UP minister Azam Khan is ahead from Rampur.
- 9:06 AM: Let's not jump to any conclusion based on early trends: AAP's Ashutosh after early trends suggest Congress taking lead against AAP in Punjab
- 8:59 AM: Punjab CM Prakash Singh Badal leading in Lambi
- 8:55 AM: BJP taking a big early lead in Uttar Pradesh, AAP and Congress in a tight race in Punjab
- 8:54 AM: Samajwadi party candidate from Amethi Gayatri Prajapati leading in Amethi, Uttar Pradesh
- 08:51 AM: Navjot Singh Sidhu leading in Amritsar East
- 8:50 AM: Latest trends from Uttar Pradesh suggest BJP leading in 40 seats, SP+Congress in 15, BSP 9, & Others in 4
- 8:48 AM: In Punjab, both the Aam Aadmi Party and the Congress won 3 seats each.
- 8:45 AM: Pankaj Singh of BJP leading in Noida Constituency; BJP leading on 5 seats in Lucknow
- 8:42 AM: Initial trends in Uttar Pradesh: 84/403
- 8:40 AM: Captain Amarinder Singh is contesting from two seats: Patiala and Lambi where he takes on the sitting chief minister.
- 8:40 AM: Trends from at least 80 seats show BJP leading in 37 seats and the SP-Congress combine in 20. The Bahujan Samaj Party is ahead in 16 seats.
- 8:38 AM: BJP now pulling ahead in UP with 29 out of 45. SP/Cong 11
- 8:34 AM: Congress takes early lead in Punjab (18/117); BJP/SAD: 2, Congress: 14; AAP:2; Others: 0
- 8:33 AM: Punjab: Congress leading in 3 seats
- 8:31 AM: BJP+ takes lead in early trends in Uttar Pradesh (30/403)
- 8:29 AM: In Punjab, Congress has won 2 seas, the Aam Aadmi Party has won 2, and the SAD-BJP alliance secured 1 seat until now.
- 8:27 AM: The 'badals' are about to go away. It is time for a new sunrise in Punjab, says Navjot Singh Sidhu
- 8:26 AM: First trend in PUnjab shows, Congress leading in 2 seats
- 8:22 AM: Till now, BJP is leading with 7 seats in Uttar Pradesh, SP-Congress with three seats,BSP and other with 2 and 1 respectively (13/403)
- 8:19 AM: First trend emerges in Uttar Pradesh; 8/403
- BJP 2
- 08:16 AM: First trend emerges, BSP's Mukhtar Ansari ahead in Mau in Uttar Pradesh
- 8:10 AM: According to a media report, Drone camera monitors activity at a counting centre in Lucknow
- 8:00 AM: Counting of votes for Assembly elections in UP, Uttrakhand, Manipur, Goa and Punjab begins.
- 7:45 AM: In Manipur, counting of votes will be held for 60 seats. Congress' Okram Ibobi Singh has ruled in Manipur for 15 years.
- 7:42 AM: A total of 637 candidates including 56 are contesting for 70 seats in the Uttarakhand Assembly. 15 counting centres have been established in Uttarakhand where the Assembly strength is 70
- 7:35 AM: In Goa, votes will be counted at two centres in North and South Goa to declare the winners in 40 seats.
- 7:30 AM: In Punjab, for 117-member assembly, votes will be counted at 54 centres in 27 locations
- 7:25 AM: The Muzaffarnagar district authorities in Uttar Pradesh have banned victory processions to maintain law and order after the results of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls are announced.
- 7:20 AM: The counting will take place at 157 centres -- Punjab (53), Goa (2), UP (75), Uttarakhand (15) and Manipur (12).
- 7:15 AM: Akhilesh has already accepted his defeat. BJP is going to win: Brajesh Pathak of BJP just before counting
- 7:07 AM: 251 candidates are contesting the election this year in Goa
- 7:05 AM: The SP-Congress alliance will win today, says SP leader Rajendra Chaudhary
- 7:05 AM: Ahead of the counting, Samajwadi Party workers are seen performing havan in Lucknow
- 7:00 AM: Election Commission officials said the counting of votes commences at 8 AM and will be completed by late evening.
- 7:00 AM: Exit polls suggest huge gains for Narendera Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party