Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
, the Farhan Akhtar-Sonam Kapoor starrer, has emerged as the third highest grosser at the box office during a movie's opening weekend.
According to Boxofficeindia.com
, the movie netted over Rs 32 crore as box office collections within its first weekend.
In his bid to familiarise achievers to the moviegoers, director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra brought the story of grit and determination of former Olympian athlete Milkha Singh, also known as Flying Singh, on the celluloid.
Even though his efforts got mixed response from critics - with some praising the movie for the synergy in the story and others finding it too long and melodramatic - Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
generated enough interest to draw cinema lovers to the theatres.
After opening up fairly decently
on Friday, the movie picked up at the 1,500-odd screens that it was released in as the weekend set in.
Lyricist Prasoon Joshi scripted the film, which collected an impressive Rs 8.5 crore on its opening day. The movie collected Rs 10.50 crore on Saturday and Rs 12.25 crore on Sunday.
According to analysts at Boxofficeindia.com
, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
is a big hit, with the Delhi-Punjab circle overshadowing others in weekend box office collections.Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
has completely overshadowed 'Shorts' and 'Sixteen', the two other films released on the same day.
THE TOP OPENING WEEKENDS OF 2013 TILL DATE ARE AS FOLLOWS -
1. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani - Rs 61.87 crore
2. Race 2 - Rs 48.17 crore
3. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag - Rs 32.25 crore approx
4. Himmatwala - Rs 26.20 crore
5. Shootout At Wadala - Rs 25.63 crore
6. Special 26 - Rs 23.59 crore
7. Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola - Rs 21.39 crore
8. Raanjhanaa - Rs 20.11 crore
9. Chasme Baddoor - Rs 19.31 crore
10. Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 - Rs 19.17 croreFigures: Boxofficeindia.com