Search
Advertisement
Trump doubles down on Hormuz claim, shares map calling strait 'NEW US Territory'

Trump doubles down on Hormuz claim, shares map calling strait 'NEW US Territory'

Trump had first shared the same image on August 18. He had previously said he could soon claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory

Business Today Desk
Business Today Desk
  • Updated Aug 23, 2026 7:51 AM IST
Trump doubles down on Hormuz claim, shares map calling strait 'NEW US Territory'Trump’s new map calls Strait of Hormuz 'NEW US Territory'

US President Donald Trump on Sunday again shared an image on Truth Social describing the strategically important Strait of Hormuz as "NEW US Territory".

Trump had first shared the same image on August 18. He had previously said he could soon claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory.

Advertisement

Speaking at a police academy on Long Island on August 14, Trump said, "Pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States."

Don't Miss: 'Last-minute changes unfair, uneconomic': US-Canada trade talks collapse as Trump readies 50% tariffs on Canadian products

Iran Hits Back

Iran has rejected Trump's claims over the strait.

Mohsen Rezaei, secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, said earlier, "The gap between America’s inability to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and its claim to own it is greater than the 7,000-mile distance between Washington and the Strait itself."

Advertisement

He added, "Welcome to the post-American order in the Persian Gulf."

Washington prepares to impose fresh sanctions on Iran, adding to the growing economic confrontation between the two countries over Hormuz.

Iran has condemned the planned sanctions. It has warned that they could further strain its economy and affect major trading partners, particularly China, a key buyer of Iranian oil.

Must Read: 'Tremendous economic consequences': Amid ongoing US-Iran war, Donald Trump threatens countries backing Tehran

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is expected to announce what he has described as "the toughest sanctions in history" against Iran. Bessent has also urged China to cooperate with Washington over Tehran's oil exports.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei criticised the planned sanctions as an attempt to impose US authority beyond its borders. "Such secondary sanctions find no foundation in international law," Baghaei said in a post on X. "We are telling all nearby countries not to join the US economic war, otherwise, we will consider them as enemies."

Follow us on

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Business Today Desk
Business Today Desk

Business Today brings you the latest news, views and analysis from the world of finance, economy, markets, corporates, startups, tech, and the digital economy. You can find everything from breaking news to deep dives to immersive essays and more on a variety of subjects across all formats - online, magazine, television, data visualisation, et al.

Published on: Aug 23, 2026 7:51 AM IST